SCOPE OF WORKS
The project included:
- Construct two new three and five span bridges over Lake Kawana including widening works to the existing eastern bridge
- Construct four lanes of carriageway from Kawana Way to Lake Kawana Boulevard East including the Birtinya Boulevard intersection
- Bulk earthworks
- Road pavement
- AC surfacing
- Stormwater drainage
- Water quality devices (WSUD)
- Water reticulation
- Traffic signals
- Line marking
- Road furniture
- Provision for traffic, erosion and sediment control
- Environmental management and associated works
SITE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
- MULTIPLE AUTHORITIES: The project provided significant infrastructure for the local Sunshine Coast University Hospitals and because the project falls under multiple jurisdictions, it was critical that the project was constructed in accordance with both local authorities and DTMR specifications.
- STAGED CONSTRUCTION: With the high volumes of traffic using the existing infrastructure construction of the Lake Kawana Boulevard duplication needed to occur in stages.
- DISRUPTION: The civil and bridge works required efficient management to minimise disruption to the local traffic, local residents and rowing events held within the lake. Rowing fixtures and events in particular meant we needed to meet tight timeframes to get the eastern bridge built and out of the waterway.